If you have something you no longer want, ask yourself if it can be used by someone else or for something else before sending it off to landfill! You might even be able to make a bit of money at the same time…
The following things can generally be re-used:
- Clothing and textiles.
- Bric-a-brac, jewellery and crockery.
- Toys, books, records, cassettes and CDs.
- Household and electrical goods.
You may also want to consider if something can have a new purpose, you’ll find upcycling tips on our Recycling Top Tips blog!
Ways to find these things a new home:
- Sell on eBay
- Post on Freegle or Freecycle or OLIO
- Give to a charity shop or Community Group
- Donate to a jumble sale
- Wait for a charity bag to be posted through your door
- Go to a clothes bank
- Put an ad in a newspaper
- Put an advert in your local shop
- Tell people you have stuff to give away
- Have a garage sale
- Leave outside with a sign that says “free, please take”
- Donate to a community group or offer to a hospital
- Post on Facebook, Facebook Marketplace and in Colchester The Give Away Group and in Tendring TPRS. Or announce on Twitter
- Post on Gumtree or on Pre-Loved
- Sell at a car boot sale