Moon Lake Musk Teacup Candle by Marcie CC BY 2.0
Another way to recycle something is to re-use it as something else, also known as up-cycling. Here are some ideas to get you going:
- Turn old clothes in to wash cloths and dusters
- Use pallet wood for kindling
- Use jars and pots for storing screws, buttons, paperclips etc.
- Turn wine crates into bookshelves
- Make a table out of scaffold boards
- Use old saucers and plates as plant pot bases
- Turn unwanted bowls and cups into planters
- Make pallet wood furniture
- Use old glass bottles for vases
- Use old tyres to make a potato planter
- Make a solar furnace out of old tin cans
Want to see some great upcycling projects in action? Simply follow upcyclethat.com, PopSugar Smart Living, Check out our faves…
Get in touch with your own upcycling ideas to add to our inspirational reader recommendation list – if you have a tip, simply leave a comment below!
- In the sixties I used to use tooth paste tube tops for small knobs just screw through to what ever you want a small knob for.
Clotharrows by Lauren Jong CC BY-ND 2.0
If you have something you no longer want, ask yourself if it can be used by someone else or for something else before sending it off to landfill! You might even be able to make a bit of money at the same time…
The following things can generally be re-used:
- Clothing and textiles.
- Bric-a-brac, jewellery and crockery.
- Toys, books, records, cassettes and CDs.
- Household and electrical goods.
You may also want to consider if something can have a new purpose, you’ll find upcycling tips on our Recycling Top Tips blog!
Ways to find these things a new home:
- Sell on eBay
- Post on Freegle or Freecycle
- Give to a charity shop or Community Group
- Donate to a jumble sale
- Wait for a charity bag to be posted through your door
- Go to a clothes bank
- List on Give or Take
- Put an ad in a newspaper
- Put an advert in your local shop
- Tell people you have stuff to give away
- Have a garage sale
- Leave outside with a sign that says “free, please take”
- Donate to a community group
- Offer to a hospital
- Announce on twitter
- Post on Facebook
- Post on Gumtree
- Post on Pre-Loved
- Sell at a car boot sale